Our School Zone
Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au which hosts the most up-to-date information on school zones in Victoria.
Students residing within our school zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined based on your permanent residential address.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.
For more information, you can:
Enrolment applications for 2024 are open. To be eligible to enrol for Foundation 2024, children must turn 5 years of age by 30 April 2024.
2025 Foundation (Prep) enrolments
The Department of Education has released an updated statewide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline for the 2025 school year.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government primary school, including Parkhill Primary School.
All government primary schools will follow the timeline in 2024 to support Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2025 school year.
You can find information and resources about the timeline, including factsheets and a poster at: Enrolling in Foundation (Prep). You can also download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents and Carers’ from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) (available from 15 April 2024).
You will be able to apply to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2025 at Parkhill Primary School from 15 April 2024.
What you need to do:
- Contact our school to book a school tour or to learn more about our school and the enrolment application process.
- Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) (available from 15 April 2024). This pack includes an application form, which you can also request from our school.
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 26 July 2024.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application between Monday 29 July and Friday 9 August 2024. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should contact our school to accept the offer by Friday 23 August 2024.
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2024.
- Prepare your child to start Foundation (Prep) from Wednesday 29 January 2025.
Enrolment applications submitted after 26 July 2024 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.
Starting school is one of the most exciting milestones in your child’s life, but it can also be a little nerve wracking. Parents often ask how I can help my child to be ready for their next step?Teachers recommend:
- Asking your child what they think about starting school.
- Encouraging your child to ask questions about going to school.
- Encouraging your child to try to do things on their own such as dressing, going to the toilet, washing their hands, unwrapping their food and opening and closing their drink bottle.
- Talk to friends and other families about what school is like. Attend transition-to-school programs and activities at your child’s early years service and school.
- Talk to the school about how you can engage in your child’s learning and development at school.
A typical day in Foundation
- 8:45am Arrive at school
- 9:00am Start morning routine -> Learning block 1
- 11:00am Toilet break -> Learning block 2
- 1:30pm Lunch time and play
- 2:30pm Quiet time -> Learning block 3
- 3:00pm Learning block 4 (Social Emotional learning, Care Group activities, Show and Tell, Whole School Assembly)
Literacy and numeracy typically happens in the morning with inquiry, STEAM and other elements of the curriculum in the afternoon. A specialist timetable will be sent home at the beginning of the year
If enrolment is sought for a child who was not born in Australia or is not an Australian Citizen you may be required to enrol via the International Education Division of the Department of Education & Training, depending on the visa held by the child. Please advise the child’s residential status in Australia (permanent or termporary) and the Visa Type and Subclass number and, where defined, the Sector, as advised on the child’s Visa Grant Notice when enquiring about enrolment. If your child currently has a Bridging Visa, please also provide the Visa Type and Subclass and, where defined, the Sector, of the visa held immediately prior to the Bridging Visa.
Students from language backgrounds other than English are eligible to attend an intensive English program at Blackburn English Language School (BELS) if they are:
- aged between 5 and 18 years
- and a permanent resident of Australia or
the holder of an eligible temporary resident visa in Australia
- and have been in Australia less than six months (or 18 months if Prep entry is required)
Short Term EnrolmentChildren in Australia on a tourist visa (or similar) may be eligible for short term (temporary) enrolment, subject to availability in the required year level. Please note the following:
- A child’s date of birth determines which year level they are placed in.
- A place at Parkhill Primary School can only be offered if there is space in the required year level.
- Tuition at Parkhill Primary School is in English, so the child needs to have English language ability that will allow them to communicate with their teachers and other students, and comprehend at their year level.
- There are no extra support services available for short term students.
- Uniform is required at Parkhill Primary School.
- If the child is enrolled through the IED program, the cost of any activities/excursions/incursions that occur during the period of enrolment must also be paid by parents/guardians.
- There will be no report prepared for short term enrolment. A confirmation of enrolment can be provided if required.
- Child’s full name
- Date of birth
- Visa Subclass number and type, and where defined, the Sector
- Residential address when in Melbourne; and
- Start and end dates of enrolment.
Most short term enrolments are applied for through the International Education Division (IED). We will advise if this is the case when you enquire about short term enrolment. If application via IED is required, please ensure that you have confirmation from Parkhill Primary School that a place can be offered before commencing the application process; allow a minimum three months before the enrolment is required for the IED and school enrolment processes.